Do you want to know how we have developed Insulclock, smart-insulin pen?
We have more than four years on our backs innovating and developing technological solutions for improving the quality of life of people with chronic diseases and their families.
How was Insulclock born?
Our company was born from a real need, from a problem shared by the two co-founders, diabetes. José Luis, as a patient with type 1 diabetes for more than 20 years, and Jesús, who lives diabetes as a caregiver, with several relatives enduring of type 1 diabetes.
Among all the problems they lived for more than 20 years controlling and managing the diabetes, the idea of developing a device for registering data grew up; Insulclock was born.
During these 4 years, more than 20 people have made grow up the team: engineers, scientists, endocrinologists, diabetes educators, expert patients, etc. Thanks to the work done for each of them, now we can present the first worldwide system able to register automatically the use of the insulin pen, in the end, we turn the insulin pen into inteligent.
“We have pursued a path of prototypes, tests, failures, improvements, synchronizations, developments, more failures and more problems”
Investments and supports
Logically, to reach what is now the first and only system in the world that turns the insulin pen into inteligent, we have pursued a path of prototypes, tests, failures, improvements, synchronizations, developments, more failures and more problems… This is the apprenticeship track, something necessary that allows a tiny startup like ours to lounch a product 100% designed and manufatured in Spain.
“We have spent more than 36.000 work hours and invested more than 2 million euros”
We have faced these 4 years with the support of the European Comision and the Government of Spain by the Spanish Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness. We have spent more than 36.000 work hours and invested more than 2 million euros for the technological development of Insulclock. Yes, R & D is really expensive.
We receive a lot of messages telling us that Insulclock should be financed by Public Healthcare Systems but as most of you can imagine, it is a decision out of our concern. But of course, we ensure you that we are doing our best to achieve it. We are carrying out clinical trials to demonstrate that Insulclock improves the adherence to treatment with insulin, conducting several concept tests in different Spanish local governments, performing Insulclock free transfers for ensuring its presence in most of Spanish endocrinology services…
Nowadays, we have made an extra effort for adjusting the price of the Insulclock system, made up by an app and the Insulclock device, that is attached to insulin pen to make them smart.
What is the Insulclock system?
- It monitors the treatment administration, registering when the insulin is injected, how many units of insulin and what type of insulin. All it is done automatically and is registered in the app as if by magic.
- It stores the blood glucose levels in the diabetic diary, both manually and automatically (by different systems).
- It registers the temperature that the insulin pen has been exposed to, watching over to preserve the insulin properties.
- Alarms and caution warnings of a possible double injection. Alarmas y avisos de precaución posible doble pinchazo. Don’t you remember if you have taken the insulin? Don’t worry, you can ask the device or looking it in the app.
- Alarms to remember the next insulin injection (set them as yo want). You will never forget it again.
- It fills out the diabetic diary automatically and truly according to what is really happening with the administration of the treatment. You can send your diabetic diary via mail to your endocrine, or you can allow your endocrine to access directly, if you allow him or her to monitor your treatment.
- It gives you the possibility to stablish a tutor or a caregiver for helping you managing your diabetes, because diabetes is not issue of just one; family is very important to improve the values and levels of the disease. Can you imagine being at home and knowing that your child has injected the insulin correctly and in time? It is possible with Insulclock. A lot of apps and devices has been developed so far but all of them are basic compared with Insulclock. None registers insulin pen parameters automatically like we do. The truth is that there are smart insulin pens but so expensive. InPen is one of them but its aproximated cost is €500 and it is not available in Spain, moreover, it hasn’t all the functionalities that Insulclock has.
We have done all in our hands to offer Insulclock for the best price we can and we strongly believe that is a honest price and easily amortizable.
Insulclock costs 249€ in a single payment for life, a price far less than an iPhone or any low-end smatphone that exists. Moreover, as we want that everybody can afford it, we have asume the cost of financing the system. You can now finance your purchase in convenient instalments.
Analizing if it must be or not financed by Public Healthcare Systems is yet another job, that is a battle that is now beginning. We are faithful defenders of Spanish Public Healthcare System and we believe that technology improves our quality of life. We do not think that we have to say more about this topic. Technology for everyone according to physician criteria.
This is why we think that every technology advance able to help people enduring chronic diseases must be defrayed as it was another medicament, because according to WHO health is not only absence of illness, furthermore it is people’s physical, psicological and social wellbeing.
We love what we do, we really enjoy the pure R & D, we are in love with our work team and we want to continue developing technological solutions for improving people’s quality of life.
We want to thank the support from every person who trust us, who has helped us without conditions, who has been with us during bad and good moments. For all of them, THANK YOU.
Our customers, yes, because there are people already using Insulclock. We are very motivated for knowing that they love Insulclock and it helps them daily. THANK YOU.
To our families for putting up , supporting and helping us. THANK YOU.
Definetly, Insulclock is a dream cometrue, a system thought bypeople with diabetes for people with diabetes. We are small people doing big things.
Go Insulclock 💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽