Do you want to know how we have developed Insulclock, a smart-insulin pen?
Insulclock’s background could be summarized in our more than four years of experience innovating and developing technological solutions, in order to improve the quality life of people with chronic diseases and their families. But of course, we are much more than that.
In this post we will tell you how we have developed Insulclock: a device that can turn any insulin pen into a smart one.
How was Insulclock born?
Our company was born from a real necessity and a problem shared by the two co-founders: the correct management of diabetes treatment. José Luis is a patient diagnosed with type 1 diabetes more than 20 years ago, and Jesús is affected by diabetes as a caregiver, with several relatives with type 1 diabetes.
To solve all the problems they suffered for more than 20 years controlling and managing diabetes, the idea of developing a device to register data grew up. This was the moment when Insulclock was born.
During these 4 years, more than 20 people have made grown up the team: engineers, scientists, endocrinologists, diabetes educators, expert patients, etc. Thanks to the work done by each of them, now we can introduce you to the first worldwide system able to register automatically the use of any disposable insulin pen. In the end, we turn your disposable insulin pen into an intelligent one.
“We have followed a path of prototypes, tests, failures, improvements, synchronizations, developments, more failures and more problems”
Investments and supports
Logically, to achieve what is now the first and only system in the world that turns the disposable insulin pen into a smart one, we have followed a path of prototypes, tests, failures, improvements, synchronizations, developments, more failures, and more problems… This is the apprenticeship track: something necessary that allows a tiny startup like ours to launch a product 100% designed and manufactured in Spain.
“We have spent more than 36.000 work hours and invested more than 2 million euros”
We have faced these 4 years with the support of the European Commission and the Government of Spain by the Spanish Ministry of Economy, Industry, and Competitiveness. We have spent more than 36.000 work hours and invested more than 2 million euros for the technological development of Insulclock. Yes, R&D can be really expensive.
We receive a lot of messages telling us that Insulclock should be financed by the Public Healthcare Systems but as most of you can imagine, it is a decision out of our concern. Of course, we are doing our best to achieve this one day. We are carrying out clinical trials to demonstrate that Insulclock improves the adherence to the treatment with insulin, conducting several concept tests in different Spanish local governments, performing Insulclock free transfers to ensure its presence in most of the Spanish endocrinology services…and much more.
Nowadays, we have made an extra effort to adjust the price of the Insulclock system, made up by an app and the Insulclock device that is attached to the insulin pen to make it smart.
What is the Insulclock system?
THE BEST APP TO MANAGE YOUR DIABETES
Suitable for most glucometers and continuous glucose monitors.
In case you do not know about the main features of the Insulclock system we have developed, here you have all the advantages it offers for diabetes treatment:
- Monitoring the administration of insulin, registering when it is injected, how many units and what type of insulin. Everything is done automatically and registered in the app like magic.
- It stores the blood glucose levels on the blood glucose levels diary automatically.
- You will have the temperature that the insulin pen has been exposed to registered, watching over to preserve the insulin properties.
- It allows you to set alarms and caution warnings for possible double injections. Don’t you remember if you have taken the insulin? Don’t worry: you can ask the device or look it up in the app.
- Also, you can set alarms to remember the next insulin injection You will never forget to take them again.
- Since it allows you to link your glucometer, your blood glucose levels will be automatically added. Then, you can send all this data via mail to your caregiver or doctor, or you can allow them to access directly to monitor your treatment.
- Finally, the Insulclock device gives you the possibility to add a tutor or a caregiver to help you managing your diabetes because this is not an issue of just one person: family is very important to improve your quality life too. Can you imagine being at home knowing that your child has injected the insulin correctly and on time? It is now possible with Insulclock. A lot of apps and devices have been developed so far but all of them are quite basic compared with Insulclock. None of them register disposable insulin pen parameters automatically as we do. The truth is that there are smart insulin pens but very expensive. We democratize the use of disposable insulin pens turning them into real smart-insulin pens.
We love what we do, we really enjoy R&D, we love our work team and we want to continue developing technological solutions for improving people’s quality life.
We want to thank the support from every person who trusted us, who has helped us unconditionally, who has been with us during bad and good moments. For all of them, THANK YOU.
Our customers: we are very motivated knowing that they love Insulclock and it helps them daily. THANK YOU.
To our families for putting up, supporting and helping us. THANK YOU.
Definitely, Insulclock is a dream come true, a system thought by people with diabetes for people with diabetes. We are small people doing big things.